Members highly value the spiritual principle that our bodies are gifts from God, and we must respect and care for our physical bodies. Further, we have an ethical obligation to our fellow members to live healthy as this keeps medical costs down. As a community of people, we strive to live out Jesus Christ’s mandates. In general, a healthy lifestyle requirement includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Exercise the virtue of temperance – to avoid every kind of excess including, but not limited to, the abuse of food, tobacco, alcohol, and medicine (prescription drugs).
- Follow biblical teachings on the use or abuse of alcohol.
- Avoid abuse of prescription drugs, which means consuming prescription medications in a manner not intended by the prescriber.
- Abstain from the use of illegal drugs. Illegal drugs include, but are not limited to: any banned pharmaceuticals, non-prescribed pharmaceuticals, synthetic drugs, hallucinogenic substances, barbiturates, amphetamines, cocaine, heroin or other opiates, marijuana, illegal intravenous drugs, unprescribed narcotics, and all substances declared to be illegal.
- Intentionally incorporate exercise and good nutrition into one’s daily life.
Some individuals who qualify for our medical cost sharing program but have certain pre-existing health conditions that can be improved through lifestyle changes will be enrolled in Solidarity Well. This required program, which requires an additional fee, is in place for Sharing Members to improve their health while reducing the risk of developing or exacerbating serious diseases.
If a condition is accepted as pre-existing, that member will be accepted with that limitation.
All decisions for membership approval are made in consultation with the prospective member and with the most complete information available.